Playing can bring fun. This is part of society ever since.
Gambling is not the same as other types of games.
They include all the games
- in which money or other assets are used to acquire a chance to earn
- the result of which depends completely or predominantly on chance
Most gamblers play for pleasure. For them, gambling in remains a trouble-free pastime. A minor group of expert bettors attempt to earn some money or their livelihood is from gambling.
You can play regularly a lot. However, always maintain a distanced and controlled relationship to the games. Other people, however, lose control and their distance. For them, gambling can increasingly progress into problems. They spend more and more time and money trying to make up for losses and gradually lose control of their gambling behavior.
Gambling can be addicting
In the case of affected bettors, gambling will dominate their world of thought and whole lifestyle at some point. Those affected neglect family and friends, social contacts and work. Due to the alike diagnostic measures to substance-related addictions, generally, pathological gambling is understood in professional groups as a behavioral addiction. They claim that this is an addiction disorder.
Since the beginning of 2001, pension funds and health insurers recognize pathological gambling as an illness in need of rehabilitation. This has an equal basis with other addictions like alcohol addiction. Therefore, the pension or health insurance pay the treatment of pathological gambling.
When the signs of gambling point to the loss
Gambling-related issues are less obvious to the outside world compared to other addictions. This is due to the lack of physical cues. However, those affected do show some signs that may indicate problems with gambling.
- Increased financial difficulties despite secure income
- Borrowing for no apparent reason
- Money is borrowed from friends or family members
- Less time, unexplained absence from work or home
- Excuses and lies to hide the extent of the gambling
- Restlessness, nervousness and trouble sleeping
- Irritability and severe mood swings
- Increasing unreliability and absenteeism
However, these signs are not general. Even if the listed characteristics are present, gambling addiction does not necessarily have to be the cause.